Pre – Settled and Settled status

Read Time 4 Minutes, 20 Seconds

Pre – Settled and Settled status – EU Nationals and their Families living in the UK – EU Settlement Scheme
This is the EU Settlement Scheme for EU Nationals and their Families. What you need to know and what you need to do will depend on your particular situation. This EU Settlement Scheme is for those who wish to continue to live in the UK after Brexit.

The UK has left the EU on the 31 January 2020. However, EU Nationals and their families members have until 31 December 2020 to ensure that they have registered on the EU settlement Scheme.

Which category do you belong to?

• For those EU Nationals and family members that have applied for British nationality or a British passport then you do not need to do anything.

• For EU nationals and family members who have Indefinite leave to remain again, you will not need to do anything. If you have the old visa style stamp in your passport you can apply for a new biometric card.

• For EU nationals and family members who have a permanent residence card, you will have to apply under the EU Settlement Scheme for Settled Status.

• For EU nationals and family members who have a 5 years residence card or for those who do not hold any residence cards or permits, you will need to apply under the EU Settlement Scheme for Settled status or Pre – Settled status.

What is Settled Status?

To put it simply, this is when you have lived in the UK for a continuous period of 5 years. There are a few exceptions so if you have gaps or traveled out of the UK for a length of time, check or get some advice.

What is Pre- settled Status?

This is when you have been living in the UK for less than 5 years continuously.

What do you need to do?

Before you go ahead and apply to have the following documents ready.

• Your valid passport
• Any EU residence cards or permits you hold
• If you have a biometric residence card
• Have your national insurance number ready
• Be prepared to take a photograph of yourself

It is also useful to have the following documents in case they are required:

• Marriage certificate
• Birth certificates for children
• Council Tax Bills
• Recent bank statements
• Recent payslips
• Recent medical letters
• Recent educational letters

What happens?

Your documents are scanned by your phone/device, so an android phone or in some cases, you will need to post your documents. The Home Office has centers where you can book an appointment to have your documents scanned but there is likely to be a fee for this. You will also be asked to take a photo of yourself during the process.

The Result

Not everyone will receive a document about their status, but the Home Office will send you a link as to whether you have been successful and whether you were given Settled or Pre- Settled Status. If you are unsuccessful you may want the Home Office to review your application or you can apply again.

Complex Cases

The process should be straight forward for the majority of EU nationals and their family members. For those with slightly complex situations, such as Surinder Sigh or Zambrano cases you may need to request a paper form from the Home Office and submit it along with your documents.

Spread the love

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.